The lion is the second largest living cat, can weigh over 550 pounds and live up to 15 years old in the wild. They love to live in the savannah and grassland, live in prides with related female, male, and offspring.
Species: Panthera leo
Subspecies: P. leo leo (African lion), P. leo persica (Asiatic lion)
Did you know these interesting facts about lions:
- Lions are mainly nocturnal, hunt in the dark, sleep during the day, and spend about 20 hours laying around, resting, and being inactive.
- Lions are the tallest living cat, but weigh less and are shorter than the tiger in length.
- The Lion communicates through head rubs, licking, and with its tasseled tail that can signal and “send messages” to the other member of the pride…”Hey guys, food! This way!”
- Lions don’t use their teeth to chew. They use them like scissors to cut and slice meat and swallow food in big chunks.
- An adult lion needs to eat about 10-15 pounds of meat a day to survive, can go 4-5 days without water and eat almost every part of their prey except for the stomach, even the eyeballs!
- They aren’t very good climbers, but they can jump up to 36 feet!
- A lion’s roar can be heard five miles away.
- They can live up to twice as long in captivity – 30 years!
- Adult lions need to eat ten to fifteen pounds of meat every day.
- Females are the main hunters of the pride and usually grab their prey in groups of three to eight.
- Female lions will stay with the same pride for all of the lives unless there is a food shortage.
- Male lions are force to fend for themselves and start their own pride when they become big and old enough to compete with the dominant males of the pride. They often roam and search for new prides to take over with other male lions.
- Female lions are only pregnant for three and a half months and usually give birth to two to four cubs at a time.
- Lions usually kill their prey by strangulation – cutting off the victim’s air supply.
- What does a lion say: Roar!
- Lions teeth can be up to 12 cm long or 4.7 inches. One bite and they can paralyze prey with those giant canines!
- Adult male lions have tufts of longer fur and long shaggy manes near their heads with very short fur on the rest of their body. Their fur color is golden yellow like the sun.